About Me

My photo
This is Blog Cabin. It is the digital version of Log Cabin. Log Cabin is an art distribution centered around friends that share likeminded musical and aesthetic tastes. Hopefully Blog Cabin is as mildly enjoyable as the real deal. Enjoy!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

VAN LIFE 4: I WENT TO MEXICO AND ALL YOU GET IS THIS LOUSY POST











A friend of mine from my education program, Mr. Jules Bennett, had a week off from teaching in Oakland and was making a trip down to Ensenada to get away from it all. I made a last minute decision on Sunday night to head down with him since he offered to pay for the gas. I'd never been: how could one refuse a free ride down to Mexico, with a friend nonetheless? So at 9am Monday morning we left Carpinteria with a backpack's worth of crap, a sleeping bag, some boards on the roof, and only $60 in my pocket.

It was beautiful. Food was cheap and incredibly delicious. Everyone we met had smiles on their faces, welcoming us everywhere we went. Little children at the schools were running around, holding hands, being inclusive. They were joyful. We had coffee with a girl, and she said the stigma of Americans down in Mexico is that we're crazy and alone. I agreed. Caught a few waves. Acted a tourist and had my phone out, snapping whatever shots I could. Headed north around 4pm Tuesday, and we were back in Carpinteria at 1am, early Wednesday morning. It was a 40 hour trip. Those are the best kind.

Also, there are an insane amount of VW Beetles down in Ensenada. Matt D. would've fanned out so hard.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment